The certain components of rhythmic and musical features in poetry are on the focus of this study. Nizami Ganjavi (died 608 AH/1387AD) is the author of the melodic romantic and lyrical poems in Khosrow and Shirin poem collection in Persian Literature. To create this distinctive and prominent work, he masterfully and carefully used all the elements and techniques of poetical music. Many of the poems in this collection owe their unique harmony and attraction to this quality. In the present study, an inductive approach is adopted to analyze each of the musical components of poetry and the related components including the side music (including rhyme, refrain, and repetition), exterior music (metrics and prosody), spiritual music (the taxis and contradiction literary devices), and interior music (alliteration and repetition of consonants and vowels) to study the quality of these components in Khosrow and Shirin poem collection. For each component in the poetical music category, the related definitions and descriptions are presented based on the ancient and classical books of traditional rhetoric in Persian literature and the general knowledge of phonology. In this research, I have transcribed the verses in using the international phonetic alphabet to make it easier for foreigners to read the verses for obtaining the specific findings of this study.
- The Noble Quran.
- Avicenna, A. (1348AH). Makharej al-Horoof or Asbab Hodouth al-Horoof: Two stories from the thesis, Parviz Natel Khanlari (trans.), Tehran: Iran Culture Foundation.
- Bagheri, M. (2007). Linguistic basics. 10th ed., Tehran: Qatre.
- Taj al-Halavi, Ali ibn Muhammad (1340AH). Daghayegh al-She’r. The science of rhetoric and poetical devices. Seyyed Mohamad Kazim Imam (emend.), Tehran: University of Tehran.
- Taftazani, S. (1280AH). Al-Motaval fi Sharh Talkhis Al-Meftah. Muhammad Raja Men al-Nazerin (emend.), Lithographic version. Without page number and book ID.
- ------------- (1998). Sharh al-Mokhtasar al-Ma’ani Ala Talkhis Al-Meftah al-Khatib Ghazvini Fi Al-Ma’ani va al-Bayan va al-Badi, 9th ed., Qom: Darul Hekmat.
- Samare, Y. (2006). Phonology in the Persian Language: Phonology of syllables and sounds. Reza Nilipour and Omid Tabibzadeh (eds.), 10th ed., Tehran: University Publication Center.
- Haghshenas, A. (2005). Phonology and phonetics. 10th ed., Tehran: Agah.
- Heydari, Gh. (2018). The literary and artistic use of letter A in the lyrical poem collection by Nizami and Jami. Persian Literature Archive. 9 (1) 26, 83-111.
- Radouyani, M. (1949). Tarjoman al-Balagheh. Ahmad Atash (rev.), Istanbul: Ibrahim Khoroos.
- Al-Razi, Sh. (1360AH). Al-Mojam Fi Maayir-e Ash’ar al-Ajam. Revised by late Allameh Muhammad ibn Abdul Vahab Qazvini and compared to six old versions. Edited by Modarres Razavi, 3rd ed., Tehran: Zawwar.
- Sabz Alipour, J. & Eskandari, H. (2016). The role of poetic rhyme in word-making in the Persian language: a case study of Nizami Ganjavi's poems. Persian language and Iranian dialects. 1 (1), 1: 97-112.
- Sardaghi, M. H. & Nasr A. (2016). The richness of rhyme in Khosrow and Shirin by Nizami. Literary Arts. 8 (1), 14:119-132
- Shafiyi Kadkani, M. R. (2005). Music of poetry, 8th ed., Tehran: Agah.
- Safavi, Koorosh (2004). From linguistics to literature. 1st volume. Prose, first ed., Tehran: Sureh Mehr, affiliated with the Art Department of the Islamic Culture and Art Research Center.
- Tousi, N. (1363AH). Me’yar al-Ash’ar. Muhammad Fesharaki and Jamshid Mazaheri (Lithographic and visual eds.), 1st ed., Isfahan: Sohrevardi.
- Karami, N. (2018). Analyzing the musical poems and the use of music in Nizami’s works. The Fifth Scientific and Research Conference from Teachers’ Viewpoint. March 2019, Organization Department of Minab.
- Najaf Gholi Mirza, A.(362AH). Dorreh Najafi. Hussein Ahi (marg., emend., amend.), 1st ed., Tehran: Forooghi.
- Najafi, Abul Hassan (2005). The linguistic basics and their applications in the Persian language, 9th ed., Tehran: Niloofar.
- Nizami Ganjavi (1997). Khosrow and Shirin. Hassan Vahid Dastgerdi (emend.), Saeed Hamidian, 1st ed., Tehran: Qatre.
- Vahidian Kamyar Taghi (2006). Meter and rhyme in Persian poetry. 6th ed., Tehran: Daneshgahi.
- Vatvat, R. (1983). Hadayegh al-Sehr fi Daghayegh al-She’r. Abbas Eghbal Ashtiani (emend.), Tehran: Sanayi, and Tahouri.